Position Title: Director of Student Ministries
Position Hours: Full-time
Position Reports to: Lead Pastor
Purpose: To engage in incarnational ministry with the Leawood Presbyterian Church (“Leawood Pres”) students via discipleship, evangelism, service, and leadership opportunities.
Leawood Pres is seeking a Director of Student Ministries (“Director”) who will participate in the mission of the church by leading youth in BEING the church rather than just GOING to church. The Director will live out a picture of godly love in daily life and impact our students with sound Biblical teaching and cultural relevance. Most importantly, the Director exists to KNOW God, GROW in the likeness of Christ, SHOW God’s glory, and GO make disciples. Leawood Pres seeks a Director who will participate in the mission of the church, by being and making disciples with the Leawood Pres students. This person will oversee the middle and high school ministry, develop a team of leaders, and conduct a Christ-centered, vibrant, relational student ministry.
The Director will be expected to develop the growth of students, both spiritually and numerically in a way that reflects Leawood Pres’ overall vision. We believe in strategically partnering with parents in developing a student ministry that carries out this mission. In addition, this person will champion student ministry, both within and beyond the walls of Leawood Pres.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a heart for God with a growing relationship in Christ substantiated by daily Bible study, prayer, and fellowship. The candidate will have a high level of integrity guided by biblical and ethical principles. He or she will also display a strong, disciplined, and consistent work ethic. Being a proactive and ambitious “team player” is essential. Exemplifying a teachable spirit and receiving criticism with humility are imperative. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader that demonstrates an attitude of servant-hood; administrative aptitude; and possesses the ability to recruit, build, and manage a team of leaders in the student ministry.
- Implement Leawood Pres’ vision for the student ministry and develop student and adult leadership programs according to this vision. Teach the vision and purpose statement to all volunteers, staff, student leaders, and parents using the following framework:
- Evangelism/Incarnational/Relational Ministry (KNOW) including:
- Create outreach events geared toward the community around us and allowing for opportunities to reach churched and unchurched students
- Build and maintain relationships with all students in our congregation understanding the differences in students and how they prefer to engage
- Seek out opportunities to engage with kids on campus, at sports events, and in the community
- Emphasis on spiritual growth and discipleship (GROW) including:
- Lead students toward a deepening relationship with Jesus Christ via discipleship, character formation, biblical teaching, and prayer
- Involve students in the ministry of the church as a whole by supporting and participating in the church’s vision, worship services, and activities
- Teach the Word of God regularly via weekly Bible studies in a way that connects with students and inspires transformation
- Plan spiritual growth programs, activities, and events that include opportunities for students to worship, fellowship, learn, and apply biblical truths
- Student Leadership (SHOW AND GO) including:
- Plan programs and serving opportunities in order to train students to be leaders, to have hearts for serving in the community and within the church, and to impact others with the love of Christ
2. Leadership including:
- Recruit, equip, and consistently train volunteer leaders
- Develop a student leadership training program
- Connect each student with a trained volunteer who is praying, caring, and investing in his or her life
3. Administration including:
- Participate in staff and leadership meetings
- Set and oversee the student ministry budget, being prudent with funds allotted
- Develop systems of consistent communication, tracking, and follow-up with parents and students
To fulfill the responsibilities of this full-time role, the successful candidate will possess:
- A calling to student ministry and able to commit for three years
- Experience (3-5 years preferred) within a growing ministry context, with a track record of effectively leading students both strategically and relationally
- Proven experiences in communication and leadership skills
- Education: Bachelor’s degree is required, and seminary or Biblical training is preferred
- Strong relational skills and works well in a team setting
- Creative, highly motivated, proactive, and innovative
- Working knowledge of technology/social media
- Organizational skills for growing, mobilizing, and maintaining a strong and effective team and program
If you meet these requirements and think God is leading you to this position, we want to hear from you! Please forward a cover letter and resume to Rob Leach, Student Ministries Elder, Leawood Presbyterian Church, 2715 W. 83rd Street, Leawood, KS 66206 or email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Information about the Mustard Seed Student Ministries House
A blessing incorporated into our strategy of incarnational ministry is the house Leawood Pres owns next door to the church (the Mustard Seed). In addition to its beautiful setting on more than 1.6 acres of land in the much desired suburb of Leawood, it is a newly and completely renovated two-story, three bedroom and two bath home. It is ideal for serendipitous and intentional ministry in the church’s neighborhood. The Director will have the blessing of living in the home and the opportunity to fully utilize this home as a beacon of light in the neighborhood. The home itself is a perfect setting for welcoming students in for Bible studies, game nights, etc. The acre-sized backyard is perfectly situated for student ministry events, outdoor games, and BBQs.
Mustard Seed Video: https://vimeo.com/201607741